1/16/2011

The Moment...page 4


Oh, and the days you take your child surfing. He or she is ready to catch his own wave. You get ready, grab the perfect board, take him to the perfect spot, and push him on the perfect wave. He takes off, and gets to his feet, and rides.... this is the moment when you look around and cheer and see if anyone else saw how awesome YOUR boy or girl did on that wave. This was his or her moment of discovery.... but really, it was yours.

The whole day I pondered on my "moments". Feeling kinda sad that those days are long gone for me. Having 5 teenagers now, I don't have to carry their boards anymore, no diapers to change or bottles to wash, no one wants me to push them on waves (now they tell me to "go Mom!" or when I wipe out, "Mom! are you alright?", no one asks me to pull them along the shore with the body board, and they don't need me to watch them play in the sand anymore. I was sad that my "moments" were gone and envied these parents that they are living in that moment that I so miss.

But then, Sis caught a wave, and there it was. The Moment. She can gracefully move on the board, look amazing even on the take off, and get all her toes off the nose with such grace and style. I absolutely LOVE to watch her surf....I absolutely watch all my kids surf! And you know what? The joy I get now watching them progress in their surfing is the same joy I got watching them paddle for their first wave and go straight! I still feel like I am looking around to see if anyone say my girl's wave! So today I made a discovery.... as much as I look back and miss terribly those moments in their childhood, I have moments to cherish right now. I want to live right now in the moment. I hope that even if our days are cluttered with many duties, responsibilities, problems, and stress, that we together remember the feeling of enjoying that "moment" once before, but that "moment" will also draw us to embrace The Moment right now.

No comments: